Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Final Folio Proposal: A day in the Life of a Barista


When researching the work of photographers on the internet I found photo documentaries on topics such as poverty, children, protest movements and people’s rights. For my Folio I would like to capture a modern Australian phenomenon that is happening at this very moment and is being driven by the rise of the “Australian coffee snob”. Having grown up with parents who cannot function without their double shot espressos, I know the difference between a good and bad coffee. Therefore I wish to capture a day in the life of a Barista also known as: the person behind the coffee machine, and a modern day God. I hope to capture the importance of the Barista and the coffee itself, to the daily rituals and lives of their customers.

I have chosen to focus on one cafe for my photo documentary. It is known as “2 before 10” and is located at 2-50 Alinga Street, City West Canberra. At this cafe there are 3 baristas that rotate throughout the week with duties such as roasting the coffee beans, extracting espressos, frothing milk and creating designs on a morning cappuccino. These Barista’s are a group of friends who met at University and who now run an increasingly popular cafe. I, as the photographer want to capture the entire process of making a good coffee from the roasting of the beans at dawn through to the end of the day. Through the lens I would like to explore the relationship between the Barista and the loyal customer. To do this I would like to be as discrete as possible, using no flash, no tripod---simply holding my camera in my hand. I would like to get as much natural lighting as possible using both portrait and landscape formats to capture the atmosphere in the cafe.

I would like to photograph the Baristas and coffee drinkers from dawn until closing at 2pm. I will do this over a two week period, at least 3 times a week so that I will have a variety of pictures to select from for my final documentary.

During the early morning at dawn the owners (Baristas) start up the roasting process for the day creating their own coffee blends. I will aim to catch the morning rush of regulars, stopping by for their pre work coffee fix. I think it would then be interesting to see whether it becomes quieter throughout the day and capture the Barista’s life when they are more at ease and have the time to speak to their customers.

I am excited about this project because my family are regulars at this cafe, I have an interest in hospitality and Australia’s coffee culture is continuing to evolve. Coffee is a major product and crop that is used, traded and loved by almost everyone throughout the world, which I believe makes it worthy of a documentary.

Just two little coffee quotes:

“A morning without coffee is like sleep”


Behind every successful woman is a substantial amount of coffee”

No comments:

Post a Comment